Sciatica is a term used to describe nerve pain in the leg that is caused by irritation and/or compression of thesciatic nerve。Sciatica起源于腰部，深入臀部，向下行驶。
What Does Sciatica Feel Like?
这坐骨神经痛的症状are commonly felt along the path of the large sciatic nerve. Sciatica is often characterized by one or more of the following features:
- Numbness。Sciatica pain may be accompanied by numbness in the back of the leg. Sometimes, tingling and/or weakness may also be present.
- 片面症状。坐骨神经痛通常会影响一条腿。这种情况往往导致受影响的腿部沉重的感觉。1Rarely, both legs may be affected together.
Sciatica Is the Symptom of an Underlying Medical Condition
Sciatica is a term used to describe a set of symptoms caused by an underlying medical condition; it is not a medical diagnosis.2
Common medical conditions that may cause sciatica include1：
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease，椎骨或椎间盘的一般退行性变化
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Rarely, tumors, blood clots, or other conditions in the lower spine may cause sciatica.
Read more aboutSpinal Tumors
这sciatic nerve is the largest single nerve in the body and is formed by the union of 5 nerve roots in the lumbar and sacral spine. There are 2 sciatic nerves in the body—the right and left nerves, supplying the corresponding lower limb.
一种few anatomical characteristics of the sciatic nerve include:
- 起源。从脊椎区段L4的水平开始，坐骨神经通过从L4至S3的脊神经的合并而形成。3.这emerging nerve roots converge into a single sciatic nerve making it large and bulky, typically up to 2cms in diameter.1
Rarely, the sciatic nerve may split into 2 nerves near the sciatic foramen, which merge again into a single nerve.3.
这Course of Sciatica
通常，特定事件或损伤不会引起坐骨神经痛 - 而是往往会随着时间的推移而发展。坐骨神经痛影响人口的10％至40％，通常约为40岁。1Sciatica is found to be common in certain types of occupation where physically strenuous positions are used, such as machine operators or truck drivers. Specifically, people who often bend their spine forward or sideways or raise their arms frequently above the shoulder level may be at risk of sciatica.1那5.
这vast majority of people who experience sciatica typically get better within 4 to 6 weeks with nonsurgical sciatica treatments.1如果存在严重的神经系统缺陷，则恢复可能需要更长时间。然而，估计有33％的人可能会持续到1年的持续症状。6.当严重神经压缩具有渐进症状时，可以表明手术。
- Bowel and/or bladder dysfunction
- Sexual dysfunction
It is advised toseek medical attention immediatelyif such symptoms develop. Sciatica that occurs after an accident or trauma, or if it develops in tandem with other symptoms like fever or loss of appetite, is also cause for prompt medical evaluation.